Experienced internal and external communicator in complex global, technology, sales, intellectual property, science, legal and military environments, with a Master’s in Integrated Marketing Communications and a Top Secret/SCI security clearance.
Chief of Staff, Technology, Thomson Reuters, San Francisco, 2015 – present
Partners with the Chief Technology Officer for the Intellectual Property & Science business to lead ~1,000 technologists around the world.
What I’m currently working on:
- Effective management of technology programs through consistent metrics and dashboards to focus on delivery, effectiveness and deployment – and enable decision making
- Thomson Reuters brand awareness in the Bay area through events and partnerships
- Communications programs that educate, motivate and celebrate the adoption of a new technology development approach
Director, Internal Communications, Thomson Reuters, San Francisco | Philadelphia | London | Washington D.C., 2012-2015
Leads the internal communications functions which provides strategic partnership for executives of the Intellectual Property & Science business, focusing on internal communications with 4,000+ employees in 90 locations, 27 countries, speaking 20 language.
Developed & implemented communications to support the new business strategy. Doubled in-person executive event attendance & improved message penetration with 125 different touch points. Average employee attended 3+ executive events in 2014.
Improved engagement & drove cultural change – enabled senior leaders & managers to be advocates of change. Led to a seven-point increase in engagement survey metrics.
Visualizing data in new ways – created quarterly infographic highlighting financial results and accomplishments. Adopted at the corporate level and serves as a flagship example for new enterprise strategy.
Revenue focused – comprehensive communications strategy unified communications to Sales. Reduced noise by 80% and improved channel effectiveness 20 fold.
Technology enabler – improved online customer security with a communications plan that increased security certified technologists from <50 to 700+ in 48 hours. Improved labor capitalization and financial planning with an integrated approach to time tracking. Lead to significant decline in delinquent time tracking practices – outstanding time cards dropped from 800+ to <75 in 90 days.
- See additional accomplishments at Thomson Reuters.
Public Affairs Officer, Air Force Reserve, Beale Air Force Base, C.A., 2007-present
Created new 1st Combat Camera Squadron organizational structure to address severe senior manager (SNCO) shortage, alignment allowed for short-term and long-term mission readiness.
• Outstanding leadership resulted in media awards for six Airmen, including 1st in the Department of Defense in the video documentary category. Tracked Afghanistan deployment medals for a Special Operations team that had been lost for two years, resulted in five medals for a four-person team, including two Bronze Stars.
- Launched a private social media group for Reservists in 8 states to share knowledge, answer questions, and create a sense of community. Praised for saving hours of prep time and defining performance standards.
Communications Manager, Motley Rice LLC, Charleston, S.C., 2010-2012
Manage team of seven, responsible for communications strategies, online and traditional marketing content, media relations and advisor to partners of a large international plaintiffs law firm.
- Garnered WSJ and BBC coverage for BP oil spill clients–catalyst of changes to compensation fund protocol, increasing transparency & compensation for clients. Awarded first place in the 2012 Legal Marketing Association Your Honor Awards for Media Relations.
- Increased web traffic by 500 percent in eight months. Unique monthly visitors went from 10,000 to 60,000 as a result of new organic SEO, PPCs, social media, and web video tactics.
News & Marketing Director, KGOS/KERM Radio, Torrington, Wyo., 2009
Developed news & online marketing initiatives for rural radio station.
- Increased advertising revenue by 45 percent by creating a local news program & award-winning website.
- Created first Facebook business page in the community, resulting in improved awareness; became go-to source for emergency announcements & breaking news.
Broadcast Journalist, Air Force, Germany, South Korea, Pentagon & Iraq, 1997-2007
Held increasingly responsible positions at six military television stations around the world, including news director and lead reporter for American Forces Network.
- Award-winning broadcaster–recognized twice among best broadcasters in the Air Force. See examples.
- Quadrupled story exposure, became model station for six affiliates after revising distribution process in South Korea.
- Increased broadcast message distribution in Iraq by 66 percent, out-producing all military reporters in Iraq.